Tuesday, December 2, 2008

prayer and praise

For some time I've been having trouble with headaches, dizziness, and nausea.  On and off I was getting so dizzy I would have to catch myself from falling over.  So starting a couple weeks ago, we began a series of doctor's appointments to try and find out why this was happening.  After several tests, MRI's and CT's, it was confirmed that I have a type of tumor at the base of my skull known as fibrous dysplasia.

Needless to say this is a little scary to find out BUT we are praising God that it is not something much worse and are thankful that we did not receive the worst report we could have.  When I got the phone call yesterday that the doctor did not want to tell the result of my tests over the phone, I immediately went to the worst possible outcome.  What was going on in my head was "I know that if a doctor wants to make an appointment to share info it's never a good case scenario" I was ashamedly fearful of what we were going to hear.  I drove through tears to pick up Eric from work as we raced to the doctor's office to hear the report.  My wonderful husband was holding my hand tightly, said an incredible prayer of faith, and we were almost there.  I kept repeating to Eric on the way there that I didn't want whatever news we were about to hear to change our lives.  We raced into the doctor's office and were immediately taken back to a room to wait for the doctor.  As we got the report we were SO thankful to hear that it's NOT cancer praise God!  The doctor was honest in the fact that he, as a family doctor, knows very very little about this type of tumor and because of that offered little information.  

He has referred me to a Neurologist who will take over the plan of action from here.  I honestly have no idea what that plan will be whether it means surgery or treatment or even what the Neurologist is going to say when we meet with him.  There is very little information out there about fibrous dysplasia of the sphenoid bone and because of that it's been very hard to find out anything about it.  Our prayer right now is that God would continue to heal me, knowing that He is capable in completely removing this tumor without any help from a doctor.  I am grateful to already have so many people praying for me and over me, and to have a husband that is leading me in faith as we trust God and hold onto the many promises He gives us.

I'll keep posting updates as things progress.  Specific prayers right now would be over our insurance and finding a Neurologist that accepts the type we have.  We have unfortunately ran into the first referrals who do not accept our form of insurance so please keep that in your prayers.  I am confident that God will place me in the hands of the best doctor to treat this!  Thank you so much for your prayers!!

Kandis

14 comments:

leebo said...

I'm praying for you guys! The same power that raised Jesus from the grave is in you! I have a friend who has been going through a very similar thing recently, but God has been so faithful and healing is taking place in her already! There is no reason He won't do it for you, Kandis! He is no respecter of persons- this is nothing for Him! Continue to trust day by day and know that the Gilligan family is standing with you in prayer. I love you guys!

Chris and Abby said...

Kandis! I was actually thinking about you this morning and planned on catching up with you! I am so sorry to hear about everything that is going on. Chris and I will be praying for you and Eric. Love you!

Unknown said...

That's great news, I guess as good as we could expect. We'll keep praying for you and believing with you. Keep your faith up and stay positive, sis! You're in God's hands....the best place you can be!

Aubrey said...

We are keeping you in our prayers at all times. Miss you and know that HE has the power to give you peace in times where we don't always understand. Love you KAN!

katy said...

kandis.

praying for the best.

katy

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

Kandis - you are in our prayers! I let my family know and they are praying for you both too. God is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine!
Molly Lane Wey

Unknown said...

Know that you are in Melea's and my prayers. We love you guys and know God is working in you, through you and to you!
Eric - I'm one office door away whenever you need me.
Kandis - Melea and I are here for you anytime and in anyway!
Scott

Unknown said...

kandis,
its jenni's friend, juli.
i will be praying for you. i just wanted you to know that. specifically for the insurance thing.

Unknown said...

Kandis and Eric, We are praying for your insurance to come thru and believe me I know the right doctor is out there for you and he will show up and our prayer is that he want find anything. The pastors here want to lay hands on you and pray for you tomorrow when you all come. Can't wait to see you guys. Love, Pammy or MOM

Kasey said...

Oh Kandis,, I couldn't believe what I was reading. Please know that even though we are no longer as close as we used to be, you are in my heart, my thoughts, & my prayers. This blog has inspired me & I truely admire your faith. God never puts more on us than we can handle & I firmly believe that he has a hedge of protection over you & your family. You are truely an example of the power that Christ has. I can somewhat say I understand what you're going through because I had Thyroid Cancer when I was 16. That experience made me such a stronger person & though you are a very strong person now.. this experience you're going through will only make you that much stronger. So, again I hope you know that you have my prayers & my trust in the Lord that he will heal you. You will always be so special to me.
God Bless!! Love, Kasey

Cat said...

Oh Kandis, you're such a beautiful person, inside and out! I'm praying for you!!! Please know it. I know I only got to know you for one day, but it was an important day in my life....you brought my precious son into the world and did a wonderful job of it. God has you in the palm of His hands and God's willing you are going to be healed. I never get on Facebook, but did today and saw your new blog address! I blog too!! Mine is set to private, but I would love to send you an invite because I'm about to post some medical news on Jack and would love for you to be able to read and PLEASE pray for him, too.
-Catherine Moore (jtcatmoorefamily.blogspot.com)

Betsy said...

Kandis! I'm so sorry you have to go through this!! I will be praying for insurance. That is so frustrating!! I read something about it on the internet and it said that it can be healed with just taking some pill everyday. But, who knows if it was a good source of info. I'm looking on the bright side!! You don't have cancer!! Praise the Lord! I just want those headaches to go away!!!